Thursday, August 5, 2010


Yesterday I searched for something yummy and quick to make for supper.

I came across this recipe on several sites so not sure whom to give credit,
but I believe recipezaar finally made me cave and make this.

I love that site, now known as,
as you can check out recipes according to how others rate for me!

As for the method, I changed it up due to time limitations
and it turned out fantastic!! The wonderful aroma had two hungry
boys questioning when it would be ready.


4-5 boneless chicken breasts (I used 3 for the 3 of us)
1 (15 1/2 oz) can black beans, drained (I rinsed them)
1 (15 oz) can corn, drained (I used frozen which I think tastes fresher)
1 (15 oz) jar salsa (I used medium heat)
1 (8 oz) pkg of cream cheese (I used 4 oz)

Put frozen chicken breasts into crock.
Add beans, corn and salsa on top and cook for 4-5 hours.
Add 1 package cream cheese on top for the last half hour. Stir.


MY METHOD: I wanted this done within the hour so I used fresh chicken breasts
and browned them in a pan until almost done.

Meantime - in a separate saucepan I placed the beans, frozen corn
and salsa and let it simmer while the chicken was cooking.

When the chicken was ready, I placed it in
with the sauce ingredients and covered them up with the sauce.

Simmered for about 1/2 hour, stirring occasionally.
(when I found this getting a little dry I added about 1/2 cup chicken stock which
I happened to be cooking at the same time as well so it was good & hot)

Place cream cheese on top, cover and let heat through,
then stir well into the mix.
Add a little cream if you think it's too thick at this point, I did,
along with a touch more salsa.

I served mine with wild & white rice veggie pilaf.

This was so delicious, we all agreed! The only thing I would do differently next time
is break up the chicken just before serving,
which is what ends up happening anyway as it's so tender :)

Oh, and I plan to use the ample leftovers for chicken enchiladas...
that is if I can get to them before someone else does!



Jamy said...

mmm, this sounds delicious. I am definitely gonna have to give it a try.

Lisa said...

Not only does this look amazing, but your photography is gorgeous. Funny thing, I added some cream cheese to a chicken and cheddar dish my sister made (just needed 'something'), and wow - a great pairing :)

Lovella ♥ said...

I'm definately going to try this Sara. looks fantastic.

Anneliese said...

Love the enchilada idea!