Wednesday, December 12, 2007

A few more days...

I have this uncomfortable feeling in the pit of my stomach - has to do with the days going by too quickly and this sense that I won't be ready for Christmas.
What does being ready mean anyway? I'm sure for most it means making a list, braving the crowds rushing around spending what most of us don't have, and preparing more food than any of us should feel good about eating. Hmmm, wait a minute! I do love many things about the Christm
as season - baking, decorating, the lights and happy faces....but more than that I want Christmas to be a special time together with my family and friends, laughing and making new memories. Each year I have these great intentions for making the holiday time 'more' special, but when all is said and done, I often feel like I just manage to 'get it done'...never mind all the extras. Actually, I really am ok with just being together and keeping things simple!!
Of course the one thing at the forefront of my thoughts these da
ys is the anticipated arrival of W&L's little muffin. I think my mind is preoccupied to the point of sabotaging my own productivity. I can't seem to focus on the shopping & baking - simply 'waiting' for this little package to make it's way into our world. Nothing can compare to the wonder of a new baby, and I'm/we're so thankful for how God has protected this baby and how well he/she is doing.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is somehow in the
midst of my busyness I want to take time to reflect on what really matters most...valuing people and remembering God's love for us. It really is OK if the baking doesn't get done. I'm rambling on now, but hopefully this post has got you thinking about the things you're thankful for.
I can't help but wonder how Mary felt as she anticipated the birth of her child. Did she realize all her son would mean to us? One of my favorite songs du
ring the Christmas season is "Mary Did You Know?" I remember so vividly when Stacey sang this with the Jazz Choir - I literally had goosebumps...


Mary did you know that your baby boy would one day walk on water?
Mary did you know that your baby boy would save our sons and daughters.
Did you know that your baby boy has come to make you new,
this child that you delivered will soon deliver you.
Mary did you know that your baby boy, will give sight to a blind man.

Mary did you know that your baby boy will calm the storm with his hand.
Did you know that your baby boy has walked where angles trod?
When you kiss your little baby, you've kissed the face of God!
Oh, Mary did you know?
The blind will see, the deaf will hear, the dead will live again.
The lame will leap, the dumb will speak the praises of the lamb.
Mary did you know that your baby boy is lord of all creation.
Mary did you know that your baby boy will one day rule the nations.
Did you know that your baby boy is heaven’s perfect lamb?
This sleeping child you’re holding is the great I AM”


One thing I do know is that I'm so thankful for that Child, who came to bring a gift the world so desperately needed. I hope I'll be still long enough to truly appreciate what that means. He should be the only reason we celebrate. He's what we need to be ready for. Thank goodness Jesus wasn't too busy to do the job He set out to do!!

Now, I can't wait for the get-togethers. Are you ready?

No comments: