Friday, February 13, 2009

Running on empty - time to reflect

As I sit here convalescing, it came to me how this might be something I needed to go through... in fact, maybe it's good for me! Before you think I'm crazy or I think I'm losing it myself, I better continue. I have been busy 'doing' for so long that I guess my body needed a break... ok, it's more like a 'crash'. I rarely get this sick and I have no choice but to lay low right now. I sure do miss seeing some special little people, but it certainly has given time for reflection... always a good thing.

I wonder....do we sometimes allow things to creep up on us in our spiritual lives? We go and go, keeping busy with all sorts of 'good' things... but perhaps neglecting our spiritual nourishment and quiet rest with God ...running on empty. We need to stay connected to our life-sustainer - our tank-filler! Our creator longs to know us in a personal way... too often we only give Him what's left of our time. If we'd only realize how much we gain from getting to know Him more intimately... how our lives and relationships would benefit and perspectives would likely change.

I'm ashamed to admit that I have been neglecting my quiet times, I mean...the alone time with God where it's just He and I. The times when He hears my heart...not just my prayers... where I get to learn what brings Him joy and what saddens Him. There will always be good things to keep busy with... but more importantly, we need to be filled and that takes a different kind of doing... do it with purpose! Thinking back to when my husband and I were dating - I wanted to spend every minute possible with him and our times together always ended too soon. There wasn't much I wouldn't have done for him and I would have been pretty put off if there was no effort made on his part.
.. if he was content just knowing me...

There is yet another component to this... there are/will be times where we need to be the one helping and doing, even if we don't feel we have it to give, or our own health may suffer for it. However, there is one thing I am confident of... God understands and He will be our sustenance ...we can trust Him to bring us through... so don't grow weary.

"And let us not grow wear while doing good,
for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.
Therefore, as we have opportunity,
let us do good to all,
especially to those who are of the household of faith." Gal. 6:9, 10

Now... there's another relationship I'm thinking about right now...one that deserves more than what's left over. This being Valentine's week I encourage all you ladies (it is only ladies that read this, right?) to love your special people with all you've got. Talking to my niece only minutes ago about Valentine's plans she said to me, "We celebrate our love every day". If she could have seen the smile she brought to my face!

We are never guaranteed how much time we'll have together, so make it count. Showing love doesn't have to cost money, but should cost you something... your undivided attention for starters. Go for it - get creative - make your someone feel special!

Thank you, God, for giving me this time to reflect! I would, however, love to feel a little better for my Valentine :)


5 comments:

Stacey said...

Great post Mom :)

Anonymous said...

Well I have to agree with your neice, we celebrate our love everyday too, not just on valentine's day.
Today while doing my grocery shopping I purchased some of these "Love tart candies" the ones with little sayings on them. I decided to start Valentines early, so when Ken came home at lunch, I placed a few of these sayings on his plate. And when he was done eating I gave him a few more just before he walked out the door. The last 2 read "Love You & Good Bye". I won't mention what the first 3 said! :)
Just a very inexpensive and creative way to show our love to each other. We don't have any plans as of yet, but really, I'm just happy if we can go for a walk by ourselves, or even crash on the couch by ourselves without the kids around. That's all I ask.
And what he wants, well, that's an easy one! ;)
Happy Valentine's!

Anonymous said...

...that is a very nice post, Sara --so true-- and great photography, too! My hubby just left tonight for Brazil for one week :( I have to say that while we both know that our love for and commitment to one another are very deep & strong, at times the stress & busyness & challenges of life just really get in the way & make it hard to show it. A person can spread themselves too thin and barely have energy to express any kind of emotion. So many factors come into play ... but like you say we all need that down time to re-focus, especially on a spiritual level, our relationship with Jesus. Physically, these days my body tells me very quickly when I've overdone it and need a break. I don't even have to get sick or anything, I simply can't pick myself up to do anything. It's literal exhaustion. It's really helpful to know one's own limits and to be able to say 'no' without feelings of guilt and if you have to, even back down on commitments -- at one time this is something I would never have done. I mean it is annoying if people do it a lot -- it's better to just say 'no' to something from the start. Anyway ... getting sick is definitely a good reason to lay low. I hope you soon feel better & get your energy back. Happy Valentines Day! :)

~Brenda

Anneliese said...

This is an interesting place to meet up but I just wanted to tell you that I read your beautiful post! I agree we need time to re-fuel so that we can give. . . and oh, how the Lord longs to give when we ask. Blessings on you.

Lovella ♥ said...

Sara, I so enjoyed your post today and felt much as you do about the need to stop and refuel with my Saviour.
I loved the way you put. . that showing love should cost something. There are so many simple ways to show love, I have tiny cakes on the counter, waiting to be decorated, to deliver to our kids. . .it just cost a bit of time.
I do hope you feel well soon Sara.